Reporting to: Lead RW/Server Engineer
Location: Hybrid, minimum 2 days in the Cramlington office
Are you an experienced Data Engineer who wants to design and build Data pipelines within a scaling-up digital entertainment app that’s at the forefront of the new “online” way of socialising?
Are you looking to work somewhere you’re part of a team who take pride in working together?
Does working within a team who are straightforward, constantly challenging themselves and always learning with a genuine love for what they’re creating appeal?
We’re looking for someone who is energetic and proactive who is fascinated by modern data stacks and enjoys digging into the schemas and file formats.
Who are we?
WOLF is a fast-growing community-orientated platform that enables communities in our core MENA market to create entertaining audio content and programmes – so users can participate, enjoy and build friendships. WOLF is a space for freedom and creativity in your online life—whether that’s participating in live shows, chatting, or discovering talent – all wrapped up in a fun community.
We’re looking for someone to help us create data pipelines and shape the data for our fascinating and unique chat and entertainment app for iOS, Android and the web.
The ideal candidate will have a background in software engineering, experience in an analytics field, working with multiple data sets to help generate data-driven decisions.
Ideally you would be familiar with the modern data stack, data warehouse solutions (BigQuery) and the world of mobile and web apps.
You will also be responsible for one data engineer and will manage them day to day and support their development.
- Implement new technology to leverage data across the business
- Partner with BI team, marketing/community teams, and finance team to solve problems, and design data processes
- Design, manage, and support the data infrastructure, alongside implementing principles and processes to ensure that the platform remains highly automated, self-servicing and able to scale as we continue to grow.
You’ll work across the following four key areas:
- Connecting various data sources to our data warehouse solution in Google BigQuery
- Developing and implementing procedures for secure and effective data management.
- Implementing data definitions, data mappings and providing support across ongoing integration activities
2. Data warehousing
- Creating data transformation pipelines in Dataform and generating reports tables for analytics
- Writing SQL unit tests for data transformation scripts
- Running regular quality checks on data
3. Business intelligence
- Working with our BI team to deliver data engineering support for existing BI reports
- Working collaboratively with software engineering teams to understand and define application and platform data requirements.
4. Data infrastructure
- Managing our data ingestion pipelines with infrastructure as code
- Managing data transformation pipelines with SQL and Git
- Providing recommendations on data architecture and process improvements on an ongoing basis
The successful candidate will need to be highly technical, follow a hands-on approach, and have extensive experience managing and analysing data.
There will be liaison with the Finance team to ensure that the data is transparent enough for them to make payments. (check wording with AC)
- Experience with the Cloud, ideally AWS with a desire to learn Google Cloud
- Experience with data warehouse solutions (BigQuery)
- Previous experience of working with products that have regular releases through automated CI / CD processes
- An Agile background with experience in the use of tools such as Jira, Confluence etc
- Solid experience working with ELT/ETL tools
- Have an in-depth understanding of database structures and principles.
- Experience troubleshooting application and data platform related incidents through to resolution
- Experience working with and developing continuous integration (CI) and continuous development (CD) environments
Required Technical Knowledge
- Good working knowledge of AWS services (ECS, EC2, Kinesis, etc.)
- Familiar with serverless, event-driven technology such as AWS Lambda
- Hands-on experience working with databases, i.e. AWS MySQL, DynamoDB.
- Experience working with BigQuery data warehouse.
- Experience with Node.JS is a must.
- Experience of scripting languages such as Python is highly desirable.
- Understanding of Cloud Infrastructure as a Code (AWS Cloudformation, Terraform).
- The ability and appetite to learn and use a wide variety of open-source technologies and tools
WOLF is the unique Audio Entertainment Communities platform that enables people to create entertaining audio content and programmes – so users can participate, enjoy and build friendships.
We bring together a lively and interactive community of producers, show hosts, radio presenters, singers, poets, comedians, musicians, DJs, and fans. We have stunning stages across thousands of different groups hosting live and interactive audio shows and festival events, as well as after-show gatherings and socialising. Entertainment is how we stand out, built on a foundation of friendship, community, and supporting emerging talent.
WOLF is a place where everyone can be their true self.
At WOLF, everyone is appreciated equally for being themselves. It’s even built into our Brand Values! We’re creating a work environment that is truly representative of our diverse society, where every colleague feels respected and is able to give their best when at work. And when we have happy employees, we can then deliver the best experience to our users.
- Working alongside a brilliant team – with a culture of excellence and innovation.
- 33 days holiday – with increases for long term service.
- Flexible/hybrid working – minimum 2 days in the office (if office based).
- Early finish Fridays.
- Flexibility over Christmas and New Year.
- Perkbox Subscription – over 1,000 perks and discounts.
- Contributory Pension Scheme.
- Octopus EV Scheme – tax-efficient electric car leasing via salary sacrifice.
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
WOLF is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our workforce, and eliminating unlawful discrimination where it may exist. The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and for each colleague to feel respected and able to give their best when at work.